larissa_bootz_aurora
(BlackPressMagazine.com) - There was nothing charming about the reunion of VH1's Charm School girls. Fighting, back biting and many opportunities to hear Black women call each other Bitch were overflowing.

Even Charm School "teacher" Mo'Nique got in on the fight, nearly knocking Larissa "Bootz" Hodge Aurora out. In the end, Mo'Nique gave a speech filled with words of redemption, but most, especially Larissa, the youngest girl on the show, had already seen the look in her eyes saying: "I'm gonna knock this Bitch out."
Mo'Nique reverted to her Baltimore street fighter days which prompted a quick reaction from Larissa's mother.

Many of us had already seen Larissa's mom behind-the-scenes at the BET Awards, so we knew what drama and heat she packs. But, she and Mo'Nique....well let's just say even Floyd Mayweather couldn't get Mo'Nique out of that one.

"It was disappointing," said DC Livers, Managing Editor for Black Press Magazine and who has interviewed both Shay "Buckeey" Johnson and Larissa.
"It was a chance for people to see Black women in a good light, but that experiment clearly failed. There were moments when I'm sure Don Imus was proud."

The reunion featured a serious fight between Shay and Larissa, the two women who were most often viewed on-camera during the taping of the show as very good friends. During podcast interviews with BlackPressRadio.com, both women acknowledged nothing could be further from the truth. Websites buzzed for weeks about an alleged nightclub fight between the two in New York City, though they each denied it. But, during the Charm School Reunion Show, the women had to be separated on the show to control their fighting.

Some people admire the fight in these two women, and it's not just men.

"At a recent Black book convention, author Deja King gave me an autographed copy of her new book, 'Bitch Reloaded' that was made out to Bootz," said Livers.
"Watching Bootz during the reunion show reminded me of the book I recently reviewed by Sherry Argov entitled, 'Why Men Love Bitches', which explores the attraction men have toward dangerous women like Shay and Larissa."

"Men are highly competitive, and it’s inborn," she wrote “They love the thrill of the chase.”

That could explain why doing a segment for the upcoming VH1 reality show spin-off, "I Love New York 2" one man said something like, "I've managed to train my pitbull so I can certainly tame New York." The men who watched the show seem to long for women with Shay and Larissa-like qualities so many fear that the girls watching the show might soon start to emulate them.

Everyone knew things would get explosive with these women. So, did VH1 exploit the situation for ratings or did the network act responsibility related to the reunion show?

Message boards were buzzing seconds after the show aired with many people saying that everyone was a loser.

Bambi, a poster on the VH1 blog wrote,
"Just for the sake of argument Lorissa [sic] ..let's just say that Monique's show was 'legitimate' and that she wasn't 'being fake' or just 'out for a check despite the fact that the woman is a millionaire and didn't need to pull a heck from VH1) what did you go on the show for? If it wasn't for real.. and thatwas how you felt from jump..doesn't that make you fake? What were you looking for? Because if you weren't looking to change, what you're saying is that you just wanted to go on there to keep crap brewing.. and to be a royal pain in the ass,which is what you did. I don't feel good about what I saw tonight. As a black woman, I feel sick.. and saddened..and embarrased [sic]."

Another poster who wrote under the name of 'Enough is Enough blamed bad parenting for the breakdown of Larissa's morals.
bootz_charm_school_reunion
"I was so upset and appalled by what I seen tonight. I no longer blame Larissa for her actions. As a parent, you are suppose to raise your child with respect for self as well as others. And for Larissa to stand up there and curse Mo'Nique out and for Larrisa's mother to defend her, was pure trash, ghettoness, and lower class. Mo'Nique is older, I was always taught to respect elders. I was also taught to watch my mouth, and not to curse, especially in front of my mother. How can her mother defend her actions and not see where she went wrong with raising Larissa, if raising her at all."

Another VH1 message board poster said,

"I just finished watching the reunion show and everything makes sense: Poor Larissa victim ofher lezard [sic] looking mother. What did she come up for by the way? beat up Mo? With an immature mother like that, it is understandable that Larissa thinks that violence and wildness are the solution to everything."


But on MySpace it was a different thing. Many felt that Larissa was unfairly attacked on the show, in the press and of course by Mo'Nique.

MySpace user "Loveujoelle" said,
"I'm s[ick] and tired of people (Black) alwayz saying thiz making Black women or people look bad. Itz not making them look bad so I think ya'll and everyone need 2 just shut up and calm down ova a dumb azz show. And ya'll just hating on Larissa. She the best and she stand up 4 herself and that's a good thing so all her haters, just fall back and let her do her. Mo should've [not] walk into her face like she hard!!!"

Sadly, he has a point.
Few will be arguing that Mo'Nique exhibited teacher-like behavior during the show.

"It's common practice in the Black community that if you're sitting down and someone steps to you and stands over you that a fight is required so Mo'Nique really played herself there," said Livers. "Besides, only a fool expects rational behavior from someone is completely irrational and Larissa rarely seems rational. There's no getting to Larissa. If and when she changes, only she can determine that."

The show had twinges of racial tension as Becky a.k.a. "Buckwild" continued to play the confused White girl role but was called out by Brooke a.k.a. "Pumkin" who reminded America of the cultural differences between White and Black women.

"For blonde, White, blue-eyed girls, I was just a big flirt...right Becky?" Brooke said about her "raunchy" behavior during the Charm School prom set up by relationship expert Tariq Nasheed, who wrote the book, 'The Art of Macking.' When Becky tried to deny that she had gotten drunk and hooked up with a guy, Brooke wouldn't back down saying, "I'm going to stand strong on this because I represent you [and White girls] on this. Culturally, Black women are more conservative. I was just having fun."

Whatever you say about Brooke, you have to say she's honest because her comments were very truthful. She did represent White women on Charm School. That's why Brooke's popularity soared after spit flew from the mouth of the blonde haired, blue eyed White woman and landed on the face of a Black woman. Like it or not, Brooke did what many White people want to do.

While Charm School Reunion will likely pull big ratings for the VH1 network, it is sure to viewed as a loser for the reputations of Mo'Nique, Larissa and even Shay, who wisely apologized to America and even Larissa for her behavior saying, "I'm not about to do that on national TV."

But, no one lost bigger than the global image of Black American women. Somewhere in his bed, I'm sure Don Imus was very, very proud because his position was validated on television during the Charm School Reunion.

Steups' note: I can't say I agree with any of this save for Mo'Nique adopting a threatening posture. I am also surprised by the harshness of the tone because the interviews with these ladies have scored high ratings for DC Livers.
One of the things I am always mindful when criticising these ladies is that they are the reason people visit this site and I should try not to be a hypocrite.
If Larissa is such a demon and a terrible representative of black women, perhaps DC should not have interviewed her at all

39 comments

  1. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 3:30 PM  

    FIRST !!!!! OH YEAH BABY!!!! :)

  2. Anonymous // 9/7/07 3:32 PM  

    Interesting...

    Hey E!

  3. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 3:32 PM  

    HEY TX BABY - BUP

    Girl I gots to run. Storm Watch and I aint playing.

    Laterz

  4. Anonymous // 9/7/07 3:40 PM  

    Bye {rolls eyes like, "not again"}

  5. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 3:43 PM  

    Hey TX my ride has not come as yet so we can chat if u are still around

  6. Anonymous // 9/7/07 3:44 PM  

    OMG, how ridiculous.

    Brooke no more represents white women than a random white girl on the street. The same goes for Larissa, Shay, or New York when it comes to black women. Whatever televised acts they commit will--and should--fall solely on their shoulders. It won't go down in history as a white girl spitting on a black girl--but desperate little Brooke spitting on that %!#@^ New York. Anyone who brings the race card into it is IMO (at least a little) racist themselves.

    I think the most racist thing about this show and the entire Flavor of Love franchise is the way audiences have reacted to it. It is a stereotype in itself if you assign these representative responsibilities to women on a freaking VH1 reality show.

    I think its sad that Mo'Nique thought she had to preach to America on a reunion show that should've dwelled on the growth or lack thereof, the good times, and yes, the drama instead of Mo'Nique's opportunity to stand on her soapbox. It should've been fun but sadly it wasn't.

  7. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 3:44 PM  

    Well Becky should be proud one of the transformer even said "Let's get buckwild".

    LOL

  8. Baby™aka Beatrix Kiddo aka The Bride // 9/7/07 3:49 PM  

    DC Livers is trying to build herself some publicity, with her deadly interviewing style.

    Does every left-handed person rep me. No.

    Everyone tall person. No.

    Therefore, not every black person reps me either.

    DC and folks like her are still viewing themselves through the "white man's gaze"

    Here's some advice for DC, et. al...adopt your own gaze...and identity.

    PS-Mo'nique is a thug.

  9. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 3:53 PM  

    aye Baby I like yuh and all but leave the et al-ing and the inter alia-ing to the E yuh hear?LOL

  10. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 3:53 PM  

    yeah ah have d trademark on them.. LOL

  11. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 3:57 PM  

    Everyone has their own opinions regarding this situations. DC livers has her and we all have our own. She probably knows more about the situation then we do and plus when you are a reporter you tend to hear things from all over.

  12. Anonymous // 9/7/07 3:58 PM  

    E: u still here? lol

    Baby: Oooh I'm left handed too lol...ok, lemme get my goofy self back on subject!

    lol @ Mo'Nique is a thug!

    Now, I like Mo'Nique and this is NOT a stereotype, but in most cases, the universal sign of a beatdown for blacks is being STEPPED UP ON and/or STOOD OVER...or heck for ANY body in general...it's a sign of disrespect or them tryna PUNK you...and not many ppl wanna appear as if they've been PUNKED in front of ppl...much less millions of viewers at home...wait expect for on 'Punk.d' with Ashton Kutcher, but even then sometimes them celebrities be bout ready to B(*&^ slap Ashton lol

  13. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:01 PM  

    Hey Shawn!

  14. Electra (trinidad) // 9/7/07 4:03 PM  

    Yeah TX honey BUT I am gone for good until we meet again. :(

    My ride awaits me.

    Laterz

  15. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:04 PM  

    Bye E! Tomorrow??

  16. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 4:06 PM  

    Hey TX,

    Girl this is so funny. Sitting here reading Vh1 on the charmschool board. Alot of these females are upset.

  17. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:10 PM  

    Shawn: Over the fighting?

  18. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 4:16 PM  

    Over the fighting and over MO. Some of these girls think MO was fake all because it was a reality show.

    Hold on let me C and P some stuff here.

  19. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 4:20 PM  

    "Larissa wants to be New York

    she wanna be like New York, but we already have a crazy, angry person on Tv so she needs another pitch."


    Monique Was Wrong!!!!

    "Monique was wrong for stepping to Larissa in an aggressive manner, as though she was about to fight Larissa. She then stated in the aftershow clip, that Larissa be removed from the stage. If someone who was older and twice the size of your child approach them, then what would you do?
    Most of the people posting seems young, because if an older woman approach you in a violent manner, I am sure if your parents love you, they would have done the same thing.

    All of the ladies exempiflied a distasteful attitude, and that includes Monique."

    "Now I love Mo...I really do. But after a while she sounded like she was preaching the "I have a dream" speech. She sounded phony...not like the Mo I used to know. But I think she started talking like that to calm herself down. Im sure she wanted to tear into Larissa's a!#. But I wish she would have put Larissa and her mother in their place.
    Its obvious that Larissas mother condones her ghetto a!# attitude and probably encourages it. I mean look at her. I never thought her mother would look as tore up as she did. She dont have any edges and had a head full of orange weave against her pale a!# skin....OMG!!

    Anyway....I cheered when Larissa finally got kicked and trust, she'll run into the wrong one one day and get her a!# told."

  20. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:26 PM  

    Shawn: Man! Well...at least Leilene left happy with her $10 Gs lol

  21. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 4:35 PM  

    And she not stripping anymore.

    Oh well Rock of love will be on next week. Let's see what folks has to say about that one.

  22. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:43 PM  

    Shawn: Girl who knows...the only time of day I'm giving that show is Steups and Q's recaps...thats as much love as it's gettin from me lol...keep me updated, Shawn

  23. Anonymous // 9/7/07 4:52 PM  

    Shawn: I was reading the blog on VH1, and the guy was talkin about a whole bunch of things we didn't get to see on the airing! The guy that wrote it had a chance to see how everyone acted when the camera was off as well...attitudes and the way you carry yourself off the camera speak volumes as well and that is all I will say...

  24. Glamourvixen // 9/7/07 5:02 PM  

    I know I read it.

  25. TimD "El Dominicano" // 9/7/07 5:30 PM  

    they got a point... i mean is tri

  26. Black Press Sports // 9/7/07 6:09 PM  

    Hi Steupz,

    Thanks for your email about the op/ed that I authored about the Charm School Reunion.

    To clarify, I interviewed the ladies because I felt
    they deserved the opportunity to express themselves in THEIR OWN WORDS!

    During my interview with Bootz she repeatedly stated that she was not an angry person and that she was "OVER" the issue with Shay. Shay came across as a very likable go-getter, as did many of the women and I have to say she really impressed me. I truly wish them all the best because I know that they have really done something special: Made the whole world talk about the issue of anger management in Black women.

    Every member of Charm Shool has also earned a place in Black history. Did you know that more people watched the Charm School Reunion than the 30th Anniversary of Roots: The Next Generation? Few shows can say that.

    Admittedly, they changed my mind about them and Charm School during each interview. I respected them - AND STILL DO - for that after all no one would want to be on television exposing their lives so they have to be credited for that.

    However, the reunion show was NOT the same. I'm not sure what I expected but I really was interested in learning how they are doing NOW! I took a lot of slack from many places for interviewing them, but like I said they earned the right to tell their OWN stories in their OWN words.

    My expectation - and hope - was that the girls would be able to come across as they did in their interviews with me: Likable, respectable, maybe a touch wild, but human young women who deserve a second chance. That hope simply didn't happen.

    My email is usually full with people who are
    disappointed WITH ME for interviewing them. Members of Congress, media professionals, clergy, students, authors, actors, you name it. They were HOT with me for giving them a voice.

    I'm not ashamed to say that I defend these women A LOT because I think I saw something in them that deserves that. Few journalists would take the time that I've taken to make sure that anyone who wanted to was interviewed on BlackPressRadio.com. In many cases, I PERSONALLY communicated with them, set up inteviews and interviewed them.

    So, I hope that you'll understand that my comments about the reunion are separate and apart from my comments about or in the interviews with the women.

    Regarding ratings, that is really a non-issue as the
    site thus far has not be set up to be a commercial
    website. It is/was a social experiment and of course now a huge success.

    Ironically, each week as the women took over the
    website with their popularity the "serious" interviews we did got less and less attention. Everything has a season it was clearly their season.

    But, I stand by my decision to give the women a chance to speak their minds. We never edited their
    interviews, let them talk for as long as they wanted
    and helped publicize the interviews. I stand by my
    decision to say that they deserve respect....expect
    for the Reunion show. I was flat out embarassed, but in the end it is their decision and I'm sure many things were edited out - unlike our interviews with them. It was important for people to hear them RAW and unedited in order to maintain credibility.

    Many people who had previously disliked them became fans of the women AFTER listening, especially Saaphyri, Bootz and Shay.

    I have mad respect for you but while I appreciate your feedback I cannot say that I regret inteviewing them.

    - DC Livers, managing editor
    Black Press Magazine
    blackpressmagazine@yahoo.com

  27. Anonymous // 9/7/07 6:34 PM  

    Courney really stopped being funny once people TOLD her she was funny (ie after FoL 1). Still, I think it was kinda lame how things went down between her and Mo. I wonder if there's a lot more to that then what they let on.

    I wish they did a reunion like how MTV does its Real World/RWRR Challenges where they are all on stage with an open discussion. There needed to be more stuff about what went down/what it is now between Brooke/Leilene (bet Brooke ate her words), Shay/Becky, Becky/Saaphyri, Saaphyri/Darra, Leilene/Larissa. etc.

    Anyone know where Heather or Neveah was at?

  28. FOL // 9/7/07 6:44 PM  

    Mischeif, we'll ask Goldie that tonight

  29. FOL // 9/7/07 6:46 PM  

    DC Livers, thanks for your reply. I'll have to read it a few times before I reply because the reaction to the show was so strong I wonder if I chased the opposite opinion jut to defend a sista.

    I just didn't like the way Larissa was dogged. I wasn't there so I cant tellt he true dynamic...but isolating her then parading her for censure rubbed me the wrong way

  30. Dreadblades1 // 9/7/07 6:47 PM  

    Larissa mom is ugly. She looks like Jerry Springer trash

  31. Wumpus // 9/7/07 6:53 PM  

    Steups, you are losin gme. Brooke represented white women casue they all want to spit on New York's black face? It is not this simple, but peopl eneed to stop representing other people and represent their own f-ed up selves.
    Most importantly, Mo'nique is not a teacher, she is a comedianne/actress..a bad on eat that. She may be a de facto teacher, but I don't think she has any formal training.

  32. Unknown // 9/7/07 7:29 PM  

    I totally agree with you "bubo the hater" Mo is an comedian above all things. Having her as the head of Charm School was a not-so-good idea. Although they just cast her for the Ratings.

    And i wish more people would actually listen to Larissa when she explains her side. It seemed to me that Monique was tryna save her ass when she ask for Larissa to be removed.

    Mo preaced about how to carry yourself and we all seen who she really was. She does EVERYTHING the girls af Charm School do. (except for Brooke)

  33. FOL // 9/7/07 8:45 PM  

    I didn't write that...that was written by a rep of Black Press Magazine.com with opinions by DC Livers inserted.

  34. Wumpus // 9/7/07 8:52 PM  

    Sorry, Meups, I should have known we didn't write that.
    Duvall, why shoul dwe listen to Larissa when all she does is scream, yell and confront people in an immature way. Monique simply showed us that she is not perfect either and needs to improve. She talked a good game and seemingly attempted to make ammends for the negative behavior. All that with her ignorant role on the Parkers, she tried to uplift those women.

    I like Shay, but she seems weak. I have been saying that if you take Larissa away, Shay may win it. It was too bad that she got involved with the picture to begin with.

    Larissa may as well be aStallionaire the way she picked/bullied on Leilene. She is insecure and attempts to belittle someone she sees as weaker.

  35. Baby™aka Beatrix Kiddo aka The Bride // 9/7/07 9:09 PM  

    Did anyone notice that Mo'nique looked like she was about to slap Shay in the mouth when Shay and Bootz started arguing?

    Commandment # 11
    Thou shall duck from an over-righteous bullephant with Harriet Tubman complex.

  36. Unknown // 10/7/07 2:22 AM  

    What did Larissa's mom do backstage at the BET awards???? I cant find it anywhere online?

  37. Unknown // 17/7/07 6:59 AM  

    0.K THiS iiS WAT ii G0TTA SAY B0UT THE WH0LE REUNi0N 1ST 0F ALL ii D0NT BLAME B00TZ F0 STIKiN UP F0 HER SELFF AND N0T LETTiN HER SELF GiT PUNKED Bii M0NIQUE HATiN ASS SHE GiVE MAH NAME A BAD IMAGE....N E WAYZZ BOOTZ AND ALL THA 0THA GURLS SHUD CALWAYZ STAND UP TUH HER CUZ THEY iiZ SUM GR0WN ASS ADULTS AND THEY AINT G0TTA TAKE N0 SHIT 0K...N ii THANK THAT N0NE 0F THiM LEARNED N E THANG(N ACTUALLY USED iiT))BUT SMiLEY AND SHATAR THEY THA 0NLY 2 THAT ACTUALLY ACT LIKE THEY G0T SUM DAMN SENCE UP iiN HERE 0K N AN0THER THANG B00TZ iiZ GR0WN AND HER MAMA AINT G0TTA WATCH HER BACK EVERY SEC0ND ((N0 MADDER H0W Y0UNG SHE ACT))WH0 WAZZZ DAT DUDE 0N THA STAGE SLAPPiN THA CAMERA WiTH THA YELLOW SHiRT HE NEED TUH SiT 0N D0WN SUM WERE CUZZ HE L00KED LIKE A DAMN F00 iiM TELLiN Y00H...A B00TZ THIS IS F0 Y00H....THEY TRYNA MAKE Y000H N T00 A NEW Y0RK...GURL N Y00H HAD Y- NEW Y0K WEAVE IN T00 0 YEA THASS WAT THEY D0iN D0NT LET THiM D0 iiT CUHZZ THATS WAT THEY ARE D0iN....BUT N E WAYZZ AMERiCA iiM 0UDiE 0KAY ii KETCH YALL LATER 0N THA FLIP SIDE.

  38. Unknown // 17/7/07 7:01 AM  

    0.K THiS iiS WAT ii G0TTA SAY B0UT THE WH0LE REUNi0N 1ST 0F ALL ii D0NT BLAME B00TZ F0 STIKiN UP F0 HER SELFF AND N0T LETTiN HER SELF GiT PUNKED Bii M0NIQUE HATiN ASS SHE GiVE MAH NAME A BAD IMAGE....N E WAYZZ BOOTZ AND ALL THA 0THA GURLS SHUD CALWAYZ STAND UP TUH HER CUZ THEY iiZ SUM GR0WN ASS ADULTS AND THEY AINT G0TTA TAKE N0 SHIT 0K...N ii THANK THAT N0NE 0F THiM LEARNED N E THANG(N ACTUALLY USED iiT))BUT SMiLEY AND SHATAR THEY THA 0NLY 2 THAT ACTUALLY ACT LIKE THEY G0T SUM DAMN SENCE UP iiN HERE 0K N AN0THER THANG B00TZ iiZ GR0WN AND HER MAMA AINT G0TTA WATCH HER BACK EVERY SEC0ND ((N0 MADDER H0W Y0UNG SHE ACT))WH0 WAZZZ DAT DUDE 0N THA STAGE SLAPPiN THA CAMERA WiTH THA YELLOW SHiRT HE NEED TUH SiT 0N D0WN SUM WERE CUZZ HE L00KED LIKE A DAMN F00 iiM TELLiN Y00H...A B00TZ THIS IS F0 Y00H....THEY TRYNA MAKE Y000H N T00 A NEW Y0RK...GURL N Y00H HAD Y- NEW Y0K WEAVE IN T00 0 YEA THASS WAT THEY D0iN D0NT LET THiM D0 iiT CUHZZ THATS WAT THEY ARE D0iN....BUT N E WAYZZ AMERiCA iiM 0UDiE 0KAY ii KETCH YALL LATER 0N THA FLIP SIDE.

  39. Anonymous // 23/7/07 7:23 PM  

    U know what bootz or whuteva u want to be called
    U is a punk...I can't stand punk *ss b*tches like u. I have came across many girls like you that got all the mouth and want to talk sh*t but cannot back it up....all u did on that show was talk sh*t to people but I didn't see u do anything. U got a lot of mouth and I am just the person to f*ck ur sh*t up. I would fight u anyday....I'm not Becky, Shay, NY, or Brooke or LEiline..U would neva talk to me the way u talk to them and got away with it...cuz I would of whooped ur *ss real quick and went home...just show I could show everybody on national television that u ain't nuttin but a punk *ss B*TCH that talk sh*t but can't back it up.

eXTReMe Tracker