flav-washington-post-jpegI don't know how much longer we can scrape news from Flavor of Love to serve to you so we may just have to change focus for a few weeks until New York's show -I love New York- hits the airwaves. Hopefully I am talented enough to write on other matters that sustain your interest; or just maybe one of you "regulars" might decide to join Groovy and I.

Groovy, only joined the blog a few weeks ago it may shock you to learn. I was off to London for a few days and she kindly agreed to stand-in until my return. I came back (as if that wasn't obvious) and Groovy never left.

Anyway, we can put off discussing non Flavor of Love issues for now because it is not yet a week past the Reunion Special, so the impact of Flavor of Love is still a topic of discourse on message-boards and surprisingly; the Washington Post.
Writing this week, Teresa Wiltz (who seems to love sistas) explores the issue of Flavor of Love and it's possible effects on race. She makes a half-hearted attempt to present both sides of the issue but when your opening line describes Flav as "tacky, lumpen and gargoylesque", you know where she is coming from.

Mind you, her adjectives are appropriate, but they are also unnecessary; and when she juxtaposes the drunken negativity of a USC Professor and a published author, against a 39yr old New Jersey woman's slightly positive opinion; she (Wiltz) confesses her true opinion.

Somewhere in the middle of the article she asks, "what's to be made of the fact that in its second season, more than half of the women in 'Flavor of Love's' key 18-to-49 demographic are African American?"
The inference being there is some sort of schadenfreude afoot where black women can't help but watch other black women "humiliate" themselves. Whatever!

It never ceases to amaze why one thing African-American becomes all things African-American; or why one black person is heralded as the spokesman for all black people. It's just the way it is I suppose and even I am guilty of it...

I'll be back in a few minutes with something lighter but I wanted to comment on that because Kelly Patterson was so nice to have emailed me the link.
Speaking of readers, mz.d has vowed never to return to the blog, just saying (sigh)

I'll miss her. Catch you in a few.

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // 4/11/06 5:16 PM  

    No woman on the show speaks for me as a black woman.
    Steups, is this Wiltz woman black?

  2. Anonymous // 4/11/06 5:27 PM  

    Shoot, I wanted to be first. Lesson well learnt. When u stick, u loose.

  3. Ivory // 4/11/06 8:53 PM  

    I love MzD too - hopefully our girl will come back to us!
    Where has Groovy been? I miss her! But I love you also Steups. Oops, sorry Electra, I only meant it in a friendly way, lol! Don't want another cat fight in here...

  4. Anonymous // 4/11/06 10:53 PM  

    It is funny tv. It does not represent crap. People try to look too deeply into things. I know a lot of white people watched Friends (God knows why) and Seinfeld, but those shows don't represent all white people.

eXTReMe Tracker